Spending time at the airport with kids does not have to be a huge drag. While waiting in the variety of lines that you are required to is not fun for anyone, that will only account for a portion of your time spent with air travel. The first step in having a simple day of travel would be to take advantage of whatever can make the day simpler, such as different airport services.
Airport Info: Finding out what the airport has to offer is simple. A quick look online at the airports website will offer loads of info. Taking a moment to visit the airport information desk can also be helpful. They can tell you where a kids area is located if there is one on location. The info desk will sometimes have activity books to give to children as well.
A List of Excellent Children Distractions:
- A hand held game device. If you have not bought one of these for your child yet, before a trip is the perfect time. They are small and will keep kids of a wide age range busy, no matter where they are.
- Explore the airport. Walk through shops and buy a snack for the flight(don’t forget the chewing gum).
- Check out the bathrooms. It is a good way to get everyone to try and go before boarding.
- Look at the art displays. Many airports have aquariums, large hanging sculptures and fountains that will keep kids busy for a while.
- Get physical. Walking around is a good idea, but sometimes the kids will need more activity. Little ones usually enjoy riding escalators. It is usually possible to find a deserted or sparsely populated spot where there would be enough room for play. Obviously you don’t want to harass anyone that is waiting for a flight, but getting the kids to expel some energy is a good way to help their behavior later, on the flight. Jumping contests, relay races, or even some silly dancing might even attract some new playmates for the time pre-flight.